Friday, July 12, 2002

Work is getting me down...

Well it isn't so much work as the lack of work that is bugging me. In fact it is the lack of challenging interesting work that is really the problem. Let me explain. My boss is on holiday for two weeks. Much of the work that he left me has been done, copied, posted and/or filed. So I am now left with two tasks, the first one is a boring as hell, and the second is even worse. How interesting can you make archiving paperwork into PDF format? Okay, so yesterday I finished work early to go across town to see my therapist, and, of course, today I'm leaving early to go to a funeral (see earlier blog entry), and no one is bothered, but that isn't the point. Because I said yes, no problem and rolled over like a doormat this is all I have left to do, and this is in some part to do with the way I got the job.

This position was created for me. The boss's secretary was on extended sick leave, and I was the lucky person from the Temp Agency that was posted here. The aim to please attitude that is needed when being a temp combined with my ability to be super efficient (in short bursts) obviously impressed enough that at the end of the contracted temp period I was asked if a 12 month contract would be any good for me. Who in their right mind would refuse that? Being offered a job without applying and without the dreaded interview is like a dream come true. However, it has also created a rod for my own back in that I have to keep up that image and this is a strain because it isn't what I am really like.

Well I suppose I made my bed so I had better lie down, after all I only have another nine months to go...

No comments: