Monday, December 15, 2008

Blog title

Most of the bits I've been posting lately are not being made public for various reasons so it may have given the appearance that I had abandoned this blog. It's not the case.

This post is quite brief as it is giving a reply to an email I received asking about the blog title.

It's the title of a poem by Stevie Smith published in the 1950s and which is reproduced below.

Nobody heard him, the dead man,
But still he lay moaning:
I was much further out than you thought
And not waving but drowning.

Poor chap, he always loved larking
And now he's dead
It must have been too cold for him his heart gave way,
They said.

Oh, no no no, it was too cold always
(Still the dead one lay moaning)
I was much too far out all my life
And not waving but drowning.

I've always liked this poem, it speaks of the chaos of modern life, of the effort of keeping one's head above the endless tide of inane tasks required in todays world.

There will be a couple of blogs before christmas, I have a long rant brewing about the state of motor sport that I need to get off my chest and also a general update of life, the universe and everything.