Wednesday, August 28, 2002

Honey, I'm Home...

My significant other is here visiting. He arrived last Wednesday and goes back to our Manchester flat on Friday. I couldn't get holiday though, so I was working, leaving him to his own devices during the day. Having been, to all intent and purpose, living on my own for the past two years, this was a scary thought. Boyfriend is now like a stranger to me, he has acquired a whole new set of habits and foibles. Added to which there are things that I have been doing that I have become quite possessive about. One of these things is the computers. I have over the past two years been learning a new operating system (linux). I was perfectly happy using it as a user, in fact, when I was a University I became very friendly with the VAX/VMS system. However, in the last two years I have had to learn how to be a system administrator, keeping the firewall running, setting relays, etc, etc, the bits that are usually referred to as "the hard stuff". I frequently make a mess of it, which then involves running downstairs and pleading with the resident geek to please come and tell me what I have done wrong. Boyfriend is much more computer savvy than I am. So I have been spending all day worrying about the things he could be doing to my computers, and will any of these things have a knock on effect that I won't be able to fix. I am getting to the point where I can't wait to see the back of him because then my nice little flat will be mine, and if I want to slob around in yesterday's clothes there is no one tutting at me and commenting that I'm wearing the same clothes two days running.

Today, it took him two hours to get ready to go out because he kept stopping to "just do something", whereas I was washed, dressed and ready to go. Fortunately we managed to get all the things I wanted to do done but it was a close call, I only just got to one shop in time to get the fabric and binding needed to make a corset, and he had the nerve to complain that I was dawdling.

I have actually come to the conclusion that I like living on my own and I am dreading the time that he moves up here permanently. If only things could stay as they are.......

No comments: